This goes over debloating and slimming down Windows 10 so you get maximum performance from your PC.
I made a guide going over the debloat process two years ago https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10/ - The guide has evolved and the github project I was using has also improved. I wanted to go over the new debloat process that is more streamlined and introduced a GUI with Whitelist/Blacklist capabilities.
GitHub Project for Debloating Windows
The project I use has been developed for many years now and is extremely good. Here is the source github project I use:
Alternative GitHub Project - Version 2004 Compatible
This is a new project that was brought to my attention, but has quickly made a name for itself. It works very well and is typically more up to date than the above project.
Instructions for Usage:
Download latest Version for your Windows (Type ->
winver in run command to get your Version)
- Unzip the release of your version into it’s own folder
- Run the Start ####.cmd file
- Follow the Prompts to unbloat your system
One Command to Rule them All
Run the following command to launch the script and start the debloat process from PowerShell
iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat'))
Here is a screenshot of the GUI for the debloater:
Whitelist / Blacklist
I recommend everyone use this option and remove programs based on the selections under these lists.
Legend for the Options:
- Uncheck = Will NOT Remove
- Checked = Will REMOVE
Note: You can also just click remove all - but it will delete EVERY APP that relies on the Windows Store
Revert Registry Options
This simply reverts any changes from the options below, like stopping edge from opening PDF files, or OneDrive removal. I never click this option.
Optimal Way to Use this Tool
I recommend running this tool under the following conditions:
- Before User Profile is Created
- Empty Desktop and Downloads (Past versions has deleted files from Desktop and Downloads)
- After installing New Feature Updates
- Pick Whitelist/Blacklist programs
- Remove Bloatware With Customized Blacklist
- Disable Cortana
- Stop Edge PDF Takeover
- Uninstall OneDrive
- Unpin all Start Menu Icons
- Disable Telemetry/Tasks
- Remove Bloatware RegKeys
I generally always enable Dark Mode and Install 3.5 .NET but that is entirely my personal preference.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Direct Members Only Email
- Monthly Members Only Video
- Starting at $2 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)