I recently had a server freeze up when I wasn’t on-site and needed to power cycle it. I had configured iDrac before but it was not responsive. Here are some useful commands that can configure, reboot, and reset the iDrac function on Dell Servers. The commands below are run from a command prompt on the server (unless otherwise stated) in the (C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\idrac) path.
Remote Commands (Workstation or another server)
racadm -r -u -p
racadm -r 10.1.1.1 -u root -p calvin getsysinfo
DEFAULT USER: root
DEFAULT PASS: calvin
Reset and Factory Defaults
racadm racreset (soft Reset)
racadm racresetcfg (Hard Reset – Resets IP/Account settings back to factory default)
NOTE: Resets Default IP > 192.168.0.120
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicEnable 1 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicIpAddress 192.168.0.120 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicNetmask 255.255.255.0 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicGateway 192.168.0.120 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicUseDHCP 0 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSServersFromDHCP 0 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSServer1 192.168.0.5 racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSServer2 192.168.0.6
racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminUserName -i 2 john racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 2 123456 racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminEnable -i 2 1
To verify the new user, use one of the following commands:
racadm getconfig -u john racadm getconfig –g cfgUserAdmin –i 2
From here you will use your web browser to enter the iDrac configuration GUI and finish setting up SMTP servers, alerts and other things. I only recommend the above from command line since it gives direct access when the web browser isn’t functions due to bad IP address or invalid username.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Direct Members Only Email
- Monthly Members Only Video
- Starting at $2 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)