With my webcam, I was having major issues and tried looking for a Logitech C920 Linux Driver, as I have a Logitech C920 Webcam that is very laggy in Linux, but in Windows, I don’t have any issues. I found out that the autofocus and exposure were causing a ton of issues. After following this guide, you will be able to fix this issue.
Logitech C920 Linux Driver Problem
So there isn’t a Logitech program to control and optimize your Logitech camera in Linux, like the Windows counterpart. However, there is a command line program that will allow you to change ANY setting on the Logitech camera. This is, in my opinion, way better than the Windows clunky Logitech Application. So let’s get our program to do just that and fix these horrible default settings.
sudo apt-get install v4l-utils
sudo yum install v4l-utils
Change Settings using v4l-utils
Find your C920 Webcam or other webcams you need to switch the default settings on.
List controls for the Logitech C920
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --list-ctrls
There are two values we need to change to get the best performance from our webcam.
Here is the command syntax:
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --set-ctrl=exposure_auto=1
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --set-ctrl=focus_auto=0
Now that you know about the Logitech C920 Linux Driver support and how it functions, you can fix it. I hope this helps you as it took me quite a while to hunt down this information.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Direct Members Only Email
- Monthly Members Only Video
- Starting at $2 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)