Setting Up SSH Authentication with GitHub for Secure Access with 2FA GitHub Accounts
Creating SSH Keys
Type this in to create GitHub Keys for your computer
- I typically save this in ~/.ssh/github
- You don’t have to put a password if you aren’t worried about security
Adding the New Key to GitHub and Local SSH-Agent
Type the following on the local machine to add your key to the agent.
Copy the contents of
~/.ssh/github.pub to the new key field in GitHub. If you have xclip installed type this
cat ~/.ssh/github.pub | xclip -sel clip to copy the contents.
Test GitHub SSH Access
Type the following to verify you have completed the setup properly
SSH GitHub Clone Syntax and Updating Repositories
Here is how to clone new repositories instead of using https://
Update existing repositories to use SSH instead of https
This is the best way to clone and push updates to repositories if you have 2-Factor enabled on your GitHub account.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Digital Downloads with Guides and Pre-Built Images
- Monthly Members Only Video
- $5 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)