This guide goes over using a Custom ISO, Removing Windows 10 Components, and Optimizing Windows 10 Settings.
The whole purpose of a custom ISO is to make the initial install as slim as possible. You don’t have to uninstall bloat if it never gets installed to begin with!
Easiest Method NTLite ($30) - https://www.ntlite.com/
Free Method MSMG Toolkit - https://msmgtoolkit.in/
Microsoft Method for Custom ISO (Advanced Users Only)
Downloading in Installing ADK (Microsoft Image Tools) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install
Using sysprep from Microsoft https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/sysprep--generalize--a-windows-installation
I highly recommend a video by Craft Computing going over Windows Deployment Services if you are interested in this method - https://youtu.be/PdKMiFKGQuc
Installing Windows 10 and Removing Components
The Full AME Experience. Most people will NOT want to do this as it will remove functionality from Windows 10, that you CAN NOT put back in. Some of the components can be taken out in the Custom ISO phase, but this takes it to another level.
Note: I do NOT recommend this for MOST machines
- Windows Update
- Windows Store
- Media Player Functions
- Windows Activation (YOU MUST Activate Windows Before this Tweak!) If you fail to do this, you will have a watermark you can’t get rid of
- DirectX 12
Source files for Tweaks https://ameliorated.info/ or my GitHub mirror https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/windows-lite-2004
- Install Windows 10 (Stock or Custom ISO)
- Activate Windows 10 and Disconnect from Internet afterwards
amelioration_2004.batas Admin and Pre-Amelioration
- Reboot to Linux (I recommend Linux Mint)
sudo ./ameliorate_2004.shin Terminal on Live Linux USB
- Reboot back to Windows
amelioration_2004.batas Admin and Post-Amelioration
Recommend using the Offline Snappy Driver Installer https://sdi-tool.org/. This is about 50 GB, but has every driver you need.
AME Step-by-Step Documentation
- Download Latest Servicing Stack Update (Check Month - Windows verison- Architecture x64) https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Servicing%20Stack%20Update%20Windows%2010
- Download Cumulative Update (Check Month/Version/Arch AND Run After rebooting above) https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Cumulative%20Update%20Windows%2010
expand -F:* .\Windows10SSU.msu C:\Update1
dism /online /add-package /packagepath=C:\1\Windows10.0-SSU.cab
expand -F:* .\Windows10Cumulative.msu C:\Update2
dism /online /add-package /packagepath=C:\2\Windows10.0-Cumulative.cab
Reboot and Run
dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Note: File Names change and will be different from above!
Optimizing Windows 10 Settings
To finish things off we do some custom tweaks with the Official CTT Windows 10 Toolbox. This is something I have been customizing for years and refining every single month to work on any Windows 10 Installation.
What this script can do
- Installs Chocolatey, Notepad++, Irfanview, VLC, Java, and asks if you want Adobe Reader or Brave.
- Removes all Windows Store Apps EXCEPT office, xbox, and WSL.
- Removed Telemetry
- Disables Cortana
- Deletes various schedules tasks that rebloat the system
- Removes Other Bloatware (Candy Crush, etc.)
- Fixes problems that other scripts causes (lock screen and personalization options restricted)
Based on User feedback, this no longer uninstalls OneDrive or Office.
Toolbox Walkthrough Video
Windows Services to Disable
- Windows Defender & Firewall
- Windows Mobile Hotspot Service
- Bluetooth Support Service
- Print Spooler (Required for Printing)
- Remote Desktop Configuration and Remote Desktop Services
- Windows Insider Service
- Secondary Logon
- Downloaded Maps Manager
- Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
- Offline Files
- Windows Connect Now
- Remote Registry
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Smart Card
- Windows Image Acquisition
- Security Center
- Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
- Retail Demo Service
- Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- AllJoyn Router Service
- Geolocation Service
- Windows Biometric Service (Required for Fingerprint logon)
- Program Compatibility Assistant Service
- Enterprise App Management Service
Chris Titus Tech
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/christitustech
- YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/ChrisTitusTech
- Twitch - https://twitch.tv/christitustech
- Odysee / LBRY (Privacy) - https://christitus.com/lbry
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Digital Downloads with Guides and Pre-Built Images
- Monthly Members Only Video
- $5 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- Monthly Members Only Video
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)