This article shows how to install only security updates on Windows 10. This is vital to avoid long updates on startup or shutdown!
Windows 10 Pro Users - Policy Editor Method
Open your Local Policy editor (Start - Run) and type
From this screen go to
Computer - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Update - Windows Update for Business
Now set the Feature Updates to the following
For Quality Updates, I recommend deferring those 4 days.
Windows 10 Home Users - Regedit Method
Open up your registry editor (Start - Run) and type
Go to the follow key
Add the following DWORD Values (32-bit value):
- BranchReadinessLevel 20
- DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays 365
- DeferQualityUpdatesPeriodInDays 4
Set Active Hours
Under Settings and Updates & Security, make sure to set your active hours! I always set these manually as the automatic method is horrible. Always set an 18 hour window where you want to make sure your computer doesn’t update.
My personal active hours are 8 AM to 2 AM.
These are settings that I recommend anyone using windows adopt. Otherwise, you will run into many update issues caused by the terrible quality control that goes into the first couple rounds of updates in Microsoft Windows 10.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Direct Members Only Email
- Monthly Members Only Video
- Starting at $2 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)