Having problems and your XenServer cannot connect to XenCenter? Did you have high availability enabled? If you answered yes to both these questions here is how you get your XenServer back online and functioning properly.
- PuTTy into the XenServer Pool Master
- run the following commands:
xe pool-ha-disableNote: If this fails try ha-disable force below
xe host-emergency-ha-disable force=true<br /> xe pool-emergency-transition-to-master --force
Note: This will force the pool and slaves to reinitialize with the pool master
- Once the server reboots it should connect
- Go into your XenCenter and re-connect
Other Helpful Commands for troubleshooting
xe-toolstack-restart – First command I always try before anything else
service xapi restart – This restarts a core service
xsconsole – This launches console to check pool, network config, ha, running VMS, etc.
How-To Video going over troubleshooting
This will get your server back up and accessible, however, this disables high availability and will need to be set back up. It’s important to note the cause of an event like this. In my case, the SR I was using to host my VMs was not sufficient and caused the outage. If this happens to you make sure you have a good SAN/NAS for hosting on a Gigabit or above connection. I’d highly recommend a 10Gbs connection or a multipath gigabit connection at the very least.
I live stream on Chris Titus Tech YouTube Channel every Friday at 10 AM CST and archive clips to Titus Tech Talk. I also regularly publish to christitus.com, but if you’d like to contact me directly or want to contribute to help keep these articles and videos being made consider joining the CTT members.
Two Memberships exist:
- ChrisTitus.com Members Section (CC Only)
- Full Archive of All Unlisted Live Streams
- Direct Members Only Email
- Monthly Members Only Video
- Starting at $2 Per Month (100% of Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)
- YouTube Chris Titus Tech Membership (All Payments Accepted)
- YouTube Emojis for Comments and Live Chat
- YouTube Badges that changes based on membership time for comments and chat.
- All YouTube comments are highlighted when I review comments daily.
- Immediate Access to Full Live Streams
- $4.99 Per Month (70% of the Proceeds goes to Chris Titus Tech)